3800 CU FT CN Website Cylindrical Hopper - 6 Pack
The prototype cars were designed for carrying bulk commodities like powdered minerals and industrial chemicals, including cement and potash. They are 100-tons in capacity with four hopper compartments totalling 3800-3850 cubic feet and are fitted with either round or trough hatches. Examples were built by all three of the major car builders in Canada and they have travelled to every corner of Canada and the contiguous United States.
Close to a thousand cars were built for leasing companies, including North American Car Canada (NCHX), Canpotex (PTEX) and Procor (UNPX), while CGLX, NAHX, and, more recently, WREX, later acquired fleets secondhand. Many of these are still in service today.
Our model has been scaled from manufacturer drawings and will include alternative parts allowing us to represent the majority of differences between the Marine Industries (MIL) and National Steel Car (NSC) constructed cars. Features include:
- Brand new Dofasco S-2 100-ton trucks
- Two body variations with six or 11 side panels
- Three brake equipment variations and optional additional air reservoir on NSC cars (if applicable)
- Etched running boards and brake changeover platform
- Factory-installed air pipes and coupler cut levers
- Finely moulded plastic walkway supports (Marine Industries and NSC versions) and end cages
- Full separate air piping and brake equipment details
- Metal Macdonald-Cartier knuckle couplers are fitted as standard
If this model is popular then other variants, such as trough hatch and pressure unloading cars, will appear in the future.
Each six-pack includes six different car numbers: 369870, 369924, 371600, 371626, 372357, 369825